Re: R3000 support?

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: R3000 support?
From: Systemkennung Linux <linux@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 12:02:45 +0100 (MET)
Hi,

> Has the R3000 code been integrated into the 1.3.58 kernel yet?

Yes, I've got 1.3.59 with the R3000 stuff on my disk at home.  The
R3000 stuff seems to be a bit "magic"; means though there is no visible
bug it somehow triggers another bug for the Acer making the keyboard
and floppy partially unusable for Acer.  I suspect this might be the
same bug Stoned reported recently.

> It goes on to define TCSR_IE.. codes to enable timer interrupts.
> etc.   It does not however give me any way knowing if this really is
> the right thing to be poking.

At least it sound like a reasonable place to poke around.

> The R4000 apparently has hardware timer interrupts built into CP0,
> but the R3000 doesn't seem to have this stuff at all.  (The true frustrationg
> is that every place the R4000 is mentioned about timer stuff... there
> is not a single "pointer" or reference as to what to do if you want
> a timer interrupt on the R3000.)

Though not all members of the R4000 family have the c0_count register.
This is also why Linux doesn't use it (yet).

>  Digital.com is sadly lacking here... DecStations happened before there
> was really a net to speak of - the documentation just doesn't seem to
> have made it onto the web -at least as far as I can tell. Any other ideas
> as to places to look?

There are NetBSD and MACH ports to DECstations.  Probably the best reference
to get without asking DEC.