Re: 1.3.58 on Magnum?

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: 1.3.58 on Magnum?
From: Stoned Elipot <Stoned.Elipot@univ-evry.fr>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 1996 09:01:13 +0100
Hi David,
>>>>> "David" == "David Kerry" <davidk@sni.ca> writes:
[SNIP]
David> linux-1.3.58.tar.gz source from fnet.fr.  The build seems to
David> make it most of the way through until it hits the magnum4000.S
David> file upon which the assembler complains (err, this is
David> configured for a Magnum 4000, elf compiler, extra elf compiler
David> by the way):
[SNIP]
David>  Any ideas? I presume it has something to do with elf vs a.out,
David> but I have no idea where to look.

Well the error message it quite different from the a,.out compiler I
still use but I think the reason is the same: look at the end of
magnum4000.S, there is some data defined and then a last function,
without a .text before it ! Ralf already got patches including this so
I believe it will be ok for 1.3.59...

David>  Oh, and another minor problem: the variable 'video_res_x' in
David> drivers/char/vga.c is undefined.  It seems that it was supposed
David> to be an external, defined in drivers/char/console.c.  Is that
David> correct?  I've patched it temporarily and it gets past it now,
David> however I haven't attempted to boot a kernel yet... (See above
David> :-)

This is known to me and also included in the last patch I sent to
Ralf: I used the same obvious fix :)

BTW don't expect the 'core' 1.3.58 kernel to boot with milo 0.26
because of the NASP (see README in Milo's package or my previous
announce). You can find my patches against 1.3.58 - if you can't wait
for 1.3.59 :) - in
ftp://ftp.fnet.fr:/linux-mips/private/Incoming/linux-1.3.58-1.3.58.1.diffs.gz

BTW again, keyboard is broken since 1.2.11 for Magnum/Oily and I
didn't yet found a solution, so... even with Ralf's advice in
1.3.58:driver/char/keyboard.c (search 'Stoned', thanks Ralf ;)

Cheers, Stoned.