Re: Linux/MIPS Cross Dev for PSX

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Linux/MIPS Cross Dev for PSX
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 19:35:44 -0700
: (1) How do I find out if the CPU is running big/little endian?

By the endian bit :-)

: (2) I'm really trying hard to figure out their executable format, but
: it isnt anything that the "file" command under linux understands.  Any
: ideas?

Yes.  Look at the header that is on it.  The FreeBSD file command
calls things like "milo" a PDP-11 executable (at least in the 2.0R
version).

: (3) Once I find its exe format I think I can modify ld and related
: utilities to write its format out.  Anything tricky here?

Relocation.  Load addresses.  Segmentation, etc.

: Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.  If I get the
: target debugger running I'll give you guys a copy.  It may come in
: handy doing remote debugging to your target.

Try to compile the binutils for MIPS (see
http://www.village.org/villagers/imp/mips/build.html for a quick
primer).  Then use things like objdump to see if it works.  Oh, you
might want to also do things like try each of the known mips formats
that binutils supports.  It will take a while, and maybe a little bit
of disk space, but you may be able to gain ground there.  At a guess,
it is some variation on COFF...

Also, somewhere there is a disassembler knocking around.  This might
be useful in figuring out where the binary really begins.

Warner