Re: Anybody compiled MILO on a non-linux box?

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Anybody compiled MILO on a non-linux box?
From: Stoned Elipot <Stoned.Elipot@univ-evry.fr>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 13:22:13 +0100
Hi Warner,

>>>>> "Warner" == Warner Losh <imp@village.org> writes:

Warner> I can't get MILO to compile, no matter how nice I am to it.
Warner> I've grabbed the include files from the latest root snapshot,
Warner> which helped a *LOT*.  I've added #undef fd_set and #undef
Warner> fsid_t to get the thing to compile.  I've hacked together a
Warner> localeinfo.h that looks like

Hum,... for now I haven't compiled Milo against glibc include files
(which are the ones in Ralf's root package) I better check that !

[SNIP]

Warner> mipsel-linuxelf-ld is dumping core when I try to link it. :-(.
Warner> I'm starting to think I don't even want to think about ELF at
Warner> all (but the -oformat ecoff-littlemips should have done the
Warner> trick).

I had never tried mipsel-linuxelf tools chain to compile Milo, but yes
-oformat ecoff-littlemips should have done the trick as you say, yet
another thing I should test...

Warner> And the prebuilt MILO dies badly on my Deskstation.  TLB miss
Warner> exception (Store).  The BADVADDR is 0x7ffffffb, which smells a
Warner> lot like the new tagged code that Stoned has been working on
Warner> (the EPC is right for that as well, if I read my nm's
Warner> correctly).

Hum,... the distributed binary is compiled with the options not
commented in the Makefile - if this help...

And more we don't have RAM size detection for the Deskstation it's fixed
at 8Mo, you're welcome to write something similar to the
magnum_type_bi() function (in magnum.c) wich sould detect the RAM size
and add a pointer on this function in machinetbl[] element
corresponding to the rPC44 (identifyc.). This should be something like:

struct machine_struct machinetbl[] = {
 { "DESKTECH-ARCStation I", (char*)NULL, "DeskStation rPC44",
    dsk_rpc44_bi, (machine_func*)NULL,
    taglist_deskstation_rpc44
  },
}

Warner> The video address for the RPC44 is incorrect.  It should have
Warner> its own address, not share the TYNE one, and that address
Warner> should be 0xa00a0000.  I'll see about hacking that into MILO
Warner> and generating a patch, once I figure out how to build MILO
Warner> :-(.  Also, I think the load address for MILO needs to be
Warner> different given some of the comments in MILO's makefile.

Well just correct the vram_base tag value in taglist_deskstation_rpc44[]
(identify.c).

Well, all this identification stuff ins't very usefull if Milo keeps
crashing but...

Cheers, Stoned.