Re: DECstation 3100

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: DECstation 3100
From: paul@suite.sw.oz.au (Paul Antoine)
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 21:44:01 +1100 (EST)
Hi Dieter,

>         we have some DECstations 3100 (R2000). Is there a port for
> those old DEc boxes ? Thanks a lot

Well, there's the beginnings of a port for the 5000 series (R3000) soon
to be released for more general hacking (currently in Ralf's hands
since I released it to him for integration on Sunday).   In writing
the R3000 code for it I tried to make sure it would be o.k. on the
R2000... though there are no guarantees!

Some interest has been expresed by a variety of people in doing the
additional hacking required to support the 2100's and 3100's (which are
actually reasonably close in memory and I/O architecture to their
later 5000 cousins), so there is hope that a port to them will be
available in future.

Are you interested in contributing in some way?  We need more kernel
hackers... if you're interested in helping with the kernel then you
might like to look at the document on my ftp site:

        ftp://ftp.softway.com.au/pub/linux-mips/DS3100.func.spec.ps.gz

which originally came from DEC's ftp site, though I can't remember
the URL for it.  (Luc - would you like to grab it and put it up on
fnet?)

It describes the hardware architecture of the 2100/3100 models (the
2100 is a 12.5Mhz version of the 16Mhz 3100 from what I can tell).

So what can I put you down on my list for?  (Yes DEC folks, I've been
making a list... your names will soon be released in the TODO file I'm
building :-)

Regards,
Paul (Occassional co-ordinator of the DEC ports)