Re: Problems with binary file formats...

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Problems with binary file formats...
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 1996 18:53:40 -0700
: Yes.  Fortunately the DEC system boots a bootloader out of the first n
: (16?) blocks of the disk, so only the boot loader need know about
: where to find the kernel.  In my mind, this boot loader is just a
: modified version of lilo...

Yup.  Heck, you could replace the read/write/open commands that are
there now with ones of your own and it should just work.  I have a dim
memory of Andy saying that he did this to test it under an OS that is
POSIX compliant before rebooting the machine...

: Yep - I'm sure that with the right amount of fussing with GNU config
: files, we could build gcc/binutils that knew about all formats: a.out,
: ELF, ECOFF, ECOFF-DEC... at least, I sincerely hope we can so that we
: have a single consistent development tool chain.

Likely...  I'm still trying to figure out how to get my elf tools to
generate ECOFF, but I haven't looked hard.

: My commiserations and hopes for a speedy recovery :-)  I had my system
: corrupt itself nicely over New Year, so I empathise completely.  It's
: taken me 3 weeks to completely reconstruct my environment <sigh>

Yes.  I have all the vital services back now, which is why I have time
to dumpster dive on the disk ....

: I wish that one day back-up devices of 1-4G will be as cheap as the
: hard drives...

Hmmm, I recall that the 4G DAT drives are about US$500 here in the
states generally.  Not cheap, but not horribly expensive.

One of the other hacks I want to do at some point is to hack FreeBSD's
dump program to automatically compress the data before writing it to
tape and restore when reading it back from tape...  Don't know if my
machine is fast enough to keep up with it.  However, what I have now
works, so I'm not massively motivated just yet.

Warner