Re: Problems with binary file formats...

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Problems with binary file formats...
From: paul@suite.sw.oz.au (Paul Antoine)
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 1996 13:44:56 +1100 (EST)
> : In that case I'll concentrate on finishing the patches before I spend
> : any more time on tools.  We can tidy up the compilation environment
> : after that...
>
> I think that the difference is likely that between mips-dec-ultrix (or
> is that mips-dec-coff) mips--linux.  That is to say, DEC has some
> special code in their version of coff, while the vanilla environments
> likely do not.  I would imagine that is where the majority of the
> problems that you are having stem from.

This is what I imagined may be the case, but I can't see how I could
tweak binutils/gcc to produce that particular version as one of the
targets of a multi-target set (e.g. a.out, ELF, plus ECOFF).

> It would be a hoot to compile the Linux kernel with a ultrix tool
> chain :-)

Which is what I've been doing... albeit with GNU's 2.5.1 bunutils
configured to produce an Ultrix tool chain.

> Alternatively, you could load linux from a milo-like application that
> would be the primary boot thing that the boot blocks read in.

This would still have to be in ECOFF... as the boot PROM can only load
ECOFF off either HD or NET.  A disk boot loader is going to be
required anyway in order to load the kernel off an ext2 partition on
the HD, so that could load an ELF kernel, BUT then you'd still have to
be able to compile an ECOFF kernel for those people who want to remote
boot off the NET... so you may as well stick with ECOFF as the target.
<sigh>

> If, for some unknown reason, you are forced to go with Dec's tools,
> this would at least restrict which parts of the system would need
> special things to compile.  Just a thought.

Hmmm... I don't think you understand me... I can use the GNU tool
chain I compiled, provided I specify DEC Ultrix as the target.  Ralf's
compiled his tool chain for multiple targets, including a.out, ELF and
ECOFF, but this ECOFF produces different ECOFF from that produced by
my specifically-compiled-for-DEC-target set (for reasons that escape
me at the moment :-)

Paul