Re: Deskstation rPC44 update

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Deskstation rPC44 update
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 1996 17:58:12 -0700
: This is exactly what this list is about - porting Linux to MIPS!

OK.

: > pointer.  I'll have to remember to greb the i386 tree when I have
: > problems :-).
:
: Not needed - the stuff for other architectures is included in the MIPS
: source tree.

greb == egrep, not grab :-).

: OK, this means that the PC stuff is really what you need.

OK.  Actually, there is a FDC and IDE controller built into the
motherboard, but they appear to be unused.  I don't know why they are
there, but I have jacks that are labled FDC (with 34 pins) and IDE
(with 40).  Neither has ever been used, as far as I know, and there is
a bog standard multi-IO controller.  There is also a Bustek ISA SCSI
controller as well.

: If you know about SRAM types - on the Tyne the SRAM is easy to find.  If I
: remember right the chip was located near the slots.  I however think that
: it is more probably that your board doesn't have a DMA cache.

I suspect that you are correct.  I've fired some email off to someone
who in the past has been moderately helpful.  What do SRAMs look like?
I have 17 chips on the mb labeled "71256 S24PT <datecode>" that appear
to be the 512k of L2 cache.  The only other memory-like thing is a
DS1448 Realtime RAMified, but that might just be the EEPROM...  So it
looks like NO.

: Think
: it was interrupt #2 on the Tyne.  On a Tyne the processor needs to do the
: complete interrupt acknowledge cycle that a i386 does in hardware in
: software.

Got it.  Glad I have the ISA and EISA MindShare books..

: Hm ...  I'll try that at home.  Never had that problem before.  There are
: still some bugs in GAS but usually only invalid assembler code makes GAS
: dump core.

I think it is something to do with an internal table that is
overflowing when there is an additional level of nesting.  Not a huge
deal...

Warner