Re: Problems with binary file formats...

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Problems with binary file formats...
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 1996 17:31:28 -0700
: > Seems a good time to work all your stuff into the kernel now so that
: > we could have at least partial DECstation support in Linus'
: > distribution kernel before he releases 2.0.

When does linus want to get this out?

: In that case I'll concentrate on finishing the patches before I spend
: any more time on tools.  We can tidy up the compilation environment
: after that...

I think that the difference is likely that between mips-dec-ultrix (or
is that mips-dec-coff) mips--linux.  That is to say, DEC has some
special code in their version of coff, while the vanilla environments
likely do not.  I would imagine that is where the majority of the
problems that you are having stem from.

It would be a hoot to compile the Linux kernel with a ultrix tool
chain :-)

Alternatively, you could load linux from a milo-like application that
would be the primary boot thing that the boot blocks read in.  If, for
some unknown reason, you are forced to go with Dec's tools, this would
at least restrict which parts of the system would need special things
to compile.  Just a thought.

Warner