Re: Problems with binary file formats...

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Problems with binary file formats...
From: Systemkennung Linux <linux@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 1996 22:48:36 +0100 (MET)
Hi folks,

> > The COFF stuff hasn't been debugged very intensivly.  The only reason why
> > there is COFF support at all in the Linux/MIPS binutils is that ARC
> > BIOSes can only execute COFF executables.
>
> Yeah - the DEC boot PROM's loader only knows how to load COFF too...
> which is why I need it.
>
> > Aside of this vanilla binutils 2.5.2 is very buggy and pre 2.5.2 is
> > that buggy that it qualifies as a nightmare.  I suggest that you try
> > 2.6-1 which fixes all the COFF problems I found.
>
> Has anyone compiled these into a set of i486 linux binaries for people
> to use?  I will try to do this if no-one else has.

OK, I can upload kits of binaries configured for mips-linux, mipsel-linux,
mips-linuxelf and mipsel-linuxelf tomorrorw.  Have them already on my
disk but not yet found the time to build the same kits for GCC.

> A frustrating weekend of hacking, but with some good news: I just
> about have the first set of official DECStation (tm) patches ready for
> you to merge into your 1.3.58 source tree. :-)

Hey, gimme, gimme :-)  With Linus being on Usenix we can expect to have at
least two weeks without kernel patches from him.  Seems a good time to
work all your stuff into the kernel now so that we could have at least
partial DECstation support in Linus' distribution kernel before he
releases 2.0.