Re: Problems with binary file formats...

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Problems with binary file formats...
From: paul@suite.sw.oz.au (Paul Antoine)
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 1996 08:21:13 +1100 (EST)
Hi folks,

> The COFF stuff hasn't been debugged very intensivly.  The only reason why
> there is COFF support at all in the Linux/MIPS binutils is that ARC
> BIOSes can only execute COFF executables.

Yeah - the DEC boot PROM's loader only knows how to load COFF too...
which is why I need it.

> Aside of this vanilla binutils 2.5.2 is very buggy and pre 2.5.2 is
> that buggy that it qualifies as a nightmare.  I suggest that you try
> 2.6-1 which fixes all the COFF problems I found.

Has anyone compiled these into a set of i486 linux binaries for people
to use?  I will try to do this if no-one else has.

> Sorry, but I have no idea what the difference between version 2.11 and
> other versions of DECstation executables is :-(

Well it wasn't so much that, as I was wondering what might have
happened in the compilation of that set of 2.5.2 binaries I got from
fnet that causes a request for ecoff to give something different from
the 2.5.1's that I compiled.

I will simply release my 2.5.1 binaries in an interim development
package for people doing DECStation porting if I can't get things to
work any other way.  At least people will be able to work...

> > Arrrrghhhh!
>
> Also arrrrghhhh,

A frustrating weekend of hacking, but with some good news: I just
about have the first set of official DECStation (tm) patches ready for
you to merge into your 1.3.58 source tree. :-)

Regards,
Paul