Problems with binary file formats...

Subject: Problems with binary file formats...
From: paul@suite.sw.oz.au (Paul Antoine)
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 1996 16:52:01 +1100 (EST)
Ralf,

For some time I have been using my own versions of as, ar, ld, ranlib und
so weiter, which I'd compiled from the gnu 2.5.1 sources for DEC Ultrix
MIPS ECOFF as default output (i.e. ecoff-littlemips).

I've been working on getting my DECStation Linux development environment
in order in preparation for release to the unsuspecting masses, and have
been trying to use your release of the 2.5.2-2 binutils to do this (I had
a peer at objdump from this release of yours, and it appears to handle
ecoff-littlemips).

Now, after much experimenting, I have found that the resultant vmlinux
binary using 2.5.2-2 binutils is of type:

        mipsel executable not stripped

as reported by file.  However, when I compile and link using my versions
of as, ld, etc. I get a vmlinux of the type:

        mipsel executable not stripped - version 2.11

The difference?  Well, the sizes are different, and the 2.5.2-2 one does
not seem to produce an sbss section.  Oh yeah... and the DEC will only
boot the 2.11 binary :-)

Any ideas?  When I compiled the 2.5.1 binutils I compiled for cross-dev
from i486-linux to dec-ultrix...

Arrrrghhhh!

Paul