Re: Llinux-mips on NetPower computer ?

To: Andreas Busse <andy@soft-n-hard.de>
Subject: Re: Llinux-mips on NetPower computer ?
From: Jan Vicherek <jvichere@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 18:06:55 -0500 (EST)
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr, imp@village.org
On Thu, 18 Jan 1996, Andreas Busse wrote:

>  > I don't think the NetPower R4400 machine is currently supported.  If
>  > your friend can get the right documentation for that machine, it
>  > shouldn't be horrible to integrate changes for that machine into the
>  > main development effort.  The bulk of the R4400 interrupt handling,
>  > memory management, etc has been completed (in fact Ralf, one of the
>  > main developers, has an Acer MIPS box that he has uptimes of 5 days
>  > on).
>  >
>  > However, if you can't get documentation, you will likely find it a
>  > hard and frustrating battle.  I have an older deskstation rPC 44 which
>  > runs only at 100MHz that I've been having difficulty getting up and
>  > running due, in part, to lack of adequate documentation.
>
> I already tried to contact someone at NetPower regarding Linux/MIPS
> but I got *no* response at all to my mail messages. Try to convince
> them that Linux/MIPS is a good idea and might increase their sales
> and you might have luck.

 I've just talk to NetPower "head of Tech. Supp. Staff" -- Dave Vagts
(408)522-5106. Basically he said that he has never heard of Linux, that are
NT-oriented company, and that they probably cannot spend time to provide the
right kind of documentation. Maybe I talked to the wrong person. If people
started bombarding them with requests for info, they'll maybe give in. Who
knows !?

    TTYL,
      Jan

:r ~/.sig                      http://csclub.uwaterloo.ca/~jvichere
Jan Vicherek               Jan.Vicherek@UWaterloo.Ca, honza@ied.com
ZZ                                "To some, nothing is impossible."
Check out:                         http://www.netresponse.com/zldf/