Re: Llinux-mips on NetPower computer ?

To: Jan Vicherek <jvichere@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>
Subject: Re: Llinux-mips on NetPower computer ?
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 1996 23:40:24 -0700
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr
:  My friend has WinNT running on a NetPower R4400 machine w/PCI bus, but
: it doesn't do all we would like. I suggested to replace the WinNT with
: Linux, and said that I would investigate. What more do you need to know
: to tell me whether I can run Linux on the machine ?

I don't think the NetPower R4400 machine is currently supported.  If
your friend can get the right documentation for that machine, it
shouldn't be horrible to integrate changes for that machine into the
main development effort.  The bulk of the R4400 interrupt handling,
memory management, etc has been completed (in fact Ralf, one of the
main developers, has an Acer MIPS box that he has uptimes of 5 days
on).

However, if you can't get documentation, you will likely find it a
hard and frustrating battle.  I have an older deskstation rPC 44 which
runs only at 100MHz that I've been having difficulty getting up and
running due, in part, to lack of adequate documentation.

Warner