Re: DECStation 5000

Subject: Re: DECStation 5000
From: paul@suite.sw.oz.au (Paul Antoine)
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 14:29:01 +1100 (EST)
Jeff,

I would have replied directly, but your You wrote:

> > Hi. I'm mailing in response the reference of DECstations in
> > (http://lena.fnet.fr/linux-mips-howto.html) The Linux mips howto faq..

This faq is being updated, please also look at the following:

        http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~ralf/linux-mips.html

As that has more up to date DECStation status and reference to an
ftp'ble test kernel image.

> > I was wondering if you could tell me what progress, if any, has been
> > made for the port to a DECstation. I am currently in the process of
> > starting a group project along this line, and I'm looking for external
> > input.

I am currently the co-ordinator for the DECStation port (and
coincidentally the first little-endian R3000 port).  I have done much
of the R3000-specific code, and some of the DECStation 5000 specific
code (I have a 5000/20 at home). My test kernel has also been tested
on a 5000/100.  I am currently re-integrating my patches to 1.2.11
into the current 1.3.57 kernel in preparation for general release.

What people, machine, and skill resources do you have available to
you?  Do you have kernel expertise?

We have one person working on a boot loader, and another that has done
some work on coping with Ultrix hard drive partition tables.  Someone
else has expressed interest in the Ethernet driver. What would you
like to work on?  (There'll be plenty of debugging too :-)

Regards,
Paul