Re: PMAX network boot

Subject: Re: PMAX network boot
From: paul@suite.sw.oz.au (Paul Antoine)
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 1996 23:11:17 +1100 (EST)
Hi folks,

Szemethy Tividar and I have been corresponding about the experimental
MOP loader he wrote last northern summer.  You may remember that early
DECStations (2100's and 3100's??) use a DEC MOP protocol to remote
boot, whereas I've successfully got the later personal 5000's to boot
using tftp.

Szemethy wrote to tell me he'd done more work on it, so I thought the
list should hear that, and my reply as I mention the status of the port,
and having uploaded an experimental kernel binary to my FTP site...

Once upon a time (i.e. Forwarded message):

> Hi Tividar,
>
> You wrote:
> > With the XMas cakes are defeated and the New Year hangover is gone and
> > having access to pmaxen again, I was able to quickly put together a
> > MIPSEL a.out loader for the linuxmop.
> > Now it is able to load MIPSEL 0407 images and deliver to the clients.
>
> Cool!
>
> > This version can load only such images where the .text and .data
> > sections are countinously placed in the memory. I'll finish the
> > non-countinuous case support in some days.
>
> I'm sure that contiguous placement of the .text and .data will be fine
> for the moment.
>
> > The server is at ftp://ftp.vma.bme.hu/pub/linux/linuxmop-0.02.tar.gz
>
> I'll pick it up and play with it soon.  First I'm trying to get the source
> into the 1.3.48 tree of Ralf's so that I can release it to everyone.
>
> > If you can give me experimental kernels to test please do.
>
> I have uploaded a test kernel image onto:
>
>       ftp://ftp.softway.com.au/pub/linux-mips/dec_vmlinux.gz
>
> It's an experimental 1.2.11 kernel binary, which should boot with some
> startup messages that ends with the "Calibrating loop..." message
> from which it never exits (i.e. you'll have to reset, which may mean
> power-cycling). I must confess to not having finished the timer interrupt
> routine, so for now we have infinite BogoMIPS :-)
>
> > It'd be easier for me to debug if I had the source of the executables I try
> > to load and deliver.
>
> As I said, Ralf and I are working towards a release of the more stable
> 1.3.48 source as quickly as we can, now that he's got it up and running
> on the ACER's.  Should be only a week or two away.

Paul