Re: Back again ...

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Back again ...
From: paul@suite.sw.oz.au (Paul Antoine)
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 1996 08:37:38 +1100 (EST)
Hi everyone!

Ralf wrote:

> I returned yesterday from the black forest.  Well, the weather was bad;
> not enough snow for skying

Damn!  I was sick during my skiing trip last year... no luck for us
hacker types it seems.

> and so I did some more hacking that I actually intended before ...

Why am I not surprised? :-)

> OK, and now for the good news: 1.3.48 is almost stable; it is possible
> to compile most of the software that I'm using on my MIPS system on
> the system itself.

This is great work!

> Since I didn't have a spare disk at hand and
> NFS swapping doesn't work yet I've been limited with the 8mb installed
> on the Acer.  It was therefore not possible for me to recompile GCC with
> -O2 but otherwise this should almost be working (see below).  I've
> thrown something like a basic Linux system.  Throws some error messages
> for not yet compiled programs.  I'll upload this stuff for your
> pleasure; expect something like a 20mb .tar.gz or so ...

Cool.

> I'll clean up the kernel for a release tomorrow.  Too much debug stuff
> in now.

Great, then I can put the DECStation stuff into it.

My server system crashed over the holidays - a mishap that occurred
while I was performing a seemingly innocent upgrade of its memory.  So
now I have a nice new ELF installation (something I'd been putting off
for a while), and have just about re-configured all the daemons I was
using... fortunately I was a little paranoid about my linux-MIPS work,
and had backed up all 48MB of the various sources I was using...

Anyway, last night I was once again able to boot the DEC up to the
point of attempting the BogoMIPS calibration using my experimental
1.2.11.2 kernel, so all would appear to be well again.

> Happy new year,

Ditto!

Paul