GCC bug (was Re: Recently, ...)

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: GCC bug (was Re: Recently, ...)
From: Kai Harrekilde-Petersen <kah@terma.dk>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 95 9:04:39 MET
Mailer: Elm [revision: 70.85]
Ralf writes:

> Btw - on the gcc mailinglist is a discussion about a GCC bug that
> may be worked around by using -fno-strength-reduce.  Since I don't
> have example code that shows the bug - does anybody of you know
> if the bug also affect other architectures, especially MIPS?

As far as I can tell, the bug could affect *all* architectures, since
the bug is an overly-aggressive optimization in the arch-independent
part (the buggy function is maybe_eliminate_biv_1() in loop.c).

There have been posted code that exhibits the bug on the kernel list
yesterday.  I have it at home, but I'm headed straight for my family
in Copenhagen (I'm in Aarhus) after work, so I wont have time to send
it out before I come back in january.

Actually, a possible fix (by switching off the buggy code in gcc) was
posted on gnu.gcc.bug already in *September*.  However, it did not
make it into 2.7.1 or 2.7.2 -- I might note that the bugfix was sent from
Germany, and it *appears* that FSF is rather slow to put in code / bug
fixes that comes from Europe :-/

Merry Christmas & happy new year to everyone,

Kai
--
Kai Harrekilde-Petersen  <kah@terma.dk>  Linux: The choice of a GNU generation
Terma Elektronik, Surveillance Systems Division    #include <std/disclaimer.h>