Re: Recently, ...

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Recently, ...
From: Systemkennung Linux <linux@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 1995 11:00:56 +0100 (MET)
Hi,

> : In other words: it's slowly getting usable.
>
> It sounds like the new 1.3.x kerenels are to the point where hacking
> on them might not be a bad thing....

Ddefinately yes; 1.3 is better than 1.2 since quite a while.  As of
Patch 48 which I'm running at home I think the most of the kernel
bugs have been resolved; in fact the number of kernel bugs on my
TODO list is 0 (zero).  Some parts are also more portable and/or more
efficient than in 1.2.  What now is still missing are features and
drivers.

Next on my TODO list are:

   - Fixing the ELF binutils bug with building kernels; this will give
     us the opportunity to dump the a.out toolset.
   - Write the (E)ISA interrupt handler code for Jazz machines.  Based
     on it should be possible to use some network card like a NE2000
     without even touching the driver.  Maybe this might already working
     for Deskstations which already have that code?
   - Boot my Pica as diskless client.
   - Bring the R3000/DECstation stuff as fast as possible in my and
     then Linus' source tree.  These two things are the only two good
     reasons for 1.2 that still exist and it's pretty braindead to
     continue with two versions.

Happy hacking,