Re: Progress with gcc, but yet another problem...

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Progress with gcc, but yet another problem...
From: Systemkennung Linux <linux@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 12:41:21 +0100 (MET)
Hello all,

> Thanks to some information from Ralf, I found that the cross-compiler on our
> SPARC system will not work with Linux (the assembler doesn't understand some
> of the Linux asm code).  So I've gone back to fighting with gcc on our PC,
> and have now gotten it to compile through some of libgcc.a successfully.
> Progress!
>
> Unfortunately, right now it is bombing on "_eprintf()" in libgcc2.c; it says:
>       ./libgcc2.c:1394: stdio.h: No such file or directory
>
> The command line producing this error is ( {name} is _eprintf of course):
>       ./xgcc -B./ -O2 -DCROSS_COMPILE -DIN_GCC -g -I./include -g1 -I. -I. \
>               -I./config -c -DL${name} ./libgcc2.c -o ${name}.o; \
>
> It looks to me like xgcc should be looking for includes first in ./include,
> then in ./, then in ./config, and then should default to the standard
> /usr/include.  So why is it unable to find <stdio.h>?  I checked and stdio.h
> is
> not in ./include, but it is of course in /usr/include, so we should be all
> set,
> right?
>
> So should I copy stdio.h into ./include?  Or should I add -I/usr/include?  Or
> is something else wrong?

Well, what to to depends of which compiler you attempt to build.  For
the a.out compiler install the 4.6.27 headers + MIPS patch where your
compiler looks for them (eg. /usr/mipsel-linux/include/).

For the ELF compiler the bootstraping procedure is more painful since I
didn't yet distribute header files.  I'll upload a set of includes
and libs this afternoon.  Install the headers into
/usr/mipsel-linuxelf/include/ or where your compiler searches them.

Sorry, didn't build the stuff for big endian machines; but tweaking
the header files for big endian is easy.  Just fix <endian.h>/
<bytesex.h> or so after installation ...