Re: Progress

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Progress
From: Stoned Elipot <Stoned.Elipot@univ-evry.fr>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 1995 14:19:46 +0100
Hi all,

>There is another problem with the ELF binutils 2.6.  It is currently not
>possible to compile a kernel with them.  I'll take a look at this
>buglet rsn.  This bug is the only reason why we still cannot make
>a.out what it actually already is - history ...  To avoid for all
Are you speaking about the same kind of problem I got by trowing away
HJs binutils ? I was unable to compile my i486 kernel in ELF due to
the -k (if I recall well) option added by him to objdump (aswell as another
option I don't recall at the moment). The fix was simple : I had grabbed
HJs objdump.c from binutils-2.5.2.l2?? and compiled it with a binutils 2.6
"workbench", so I end up with a lobjdump (l for Linux :) , oh yes I did the
same for encaps program (not present in binutils 2.6). So I just change
the definition of the OBJDUMP variable in the i386 kernel Makefiles and tada
it works : I had compiled 1.3.42 till 1.3.45 this these.

>Last week I used my MIPS box for a (successfull :-) crypto-attack trying
>to break a PGP key brute force.  So you see it's slowly getting usable.
Hey you had fullfilled you dream you can stop working on Linux/MIPS :)

cheers, Stoned.
PS/ still making lines on my Olivetti console to find out where I fucked up
my NASP code in the kernel :(