Re: More gcc errors...

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: More gcc errors...
From: "Michael Laird" <mlaird@franck.sanders.lockheed.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 1995 08:33:21 -0500
On Dec 8,  9:10pm, you wrote:
> No problem, but it seems that I can't really help. I know that it is
> urgent, but I've no good idea. I guess the best thing to do is to verify
> that GCC really calls the right 'as'. Try moving 'as' to a different
> place where GCC won't find it. If you then get an error message, you
> know at least that XGCC calls the right version.

I tried renaming /usr/bin/as, and xgcc definitely was trying to invoke it,
since it came back with an error message.  /usr/local/mips-linuxelf/bin/as was
sitting right there waiting to be called, but xgcc didn't look in the right
directory.  How does xgcc decide where to look for as?  It calls 'ar' from the
makefile with an explicit path in front of it (in my case
/usr/local/mips-linuxelf/bin/ar).  'as' is called from inside xgcc, and it
appears that it is not getting the correct path.

> Let me know if you need further help -- I guess I'm one of those
> who read their mail even on weekends :-)

Thanks!  I will try building mips-linux (a.out) instead of elf to see if that
makes any difference.  I also have gotten an account on a Sun SPARC system that
I learned has a cross-compiler to MIPS big-endian (used to get VxWorks code
running on our "STAR II" board).  I am going to try both paths and hopefully
one of them will begin working soon!

Michael

Michael Laird, Nashua, NH               "Glory to God in the highest, and on
Sanders, A Lockheed Martin Company      earth peace, good will toward men."
mlaird@franck.sanders.lockheed.com              -- Luke 2:14
[All opinions expressed are personal and do not represent Sanders in any way.]