Re: More gcc errors...

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: More gcc errors...
From: Andreas Busse <andy@soft-n-hard.de>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 1995 21:10:16 +0100
Cc: andy@soft-n-hard.de
Hi again,

 > I didn't realize that at first; Ralf pointed it out to me.  But then I did
 > install binutils-2.5.2-6 and configured them for mips-linuxelf.  They are
 > installed in /usr/local/mips-linuxelf/bin.

Ok.

 > After I got binutils installed correctly, I went back to
 > /usr/local/src/gcc-2.7.0 and did a "make distclean" and "./configure", and
 > then
 > tried another make.  The make died in the same place as before; it looks like
 > ./xgcc is still calling the wrong 'as', even though it knows to use the right
 > version of 'ar'.

Then it should also use the right version of 'as'...

 > >From looking at the INSTALL file with gcc-2.7.0, it sounds like I may have
 > make libgcc1.a by hand somehow.  Is this correct?  Or should I just be able
 > type `make CC="gcc -m486" CLFAGS=....' in the gcc directory and have it
 > automatically call the cross-assembler and archiver to make libgcc1.a?

No, actually not. Since all functions in libgcc1.a are available as
cpu insns, there's nothing you need to supply or to be done by hand.
I've built gcc-2.7.0-2 together with binutils-2.5.2-6 w/o any problems.
The only difference is that I've built an a.out system, and you're
trying to build an ELF crossdev kit (which I never tried yet).

 > Thanks for bearing with my continual questions!  You have been very helpful.

No problem, but it seems that I can't really help. I know that it is
urgent, but I've no good idea. I guess the best thing to do is to verify
that GCC really calls the right 'as'. Try moving 'as' to a different
place where GCC won't find it. If you then get an error message, you
know at least that XGCC calls the right version.
You may also try to build an a.out version of binutils and gcc. I
configured binutils and gcc with

        --host=i486-linux --target=mipsel-linux (and nothing else).

And I have everything in /usr/local/mipsel-linux/...

If you really have the same sources, then you should be able to
build an a.out crossdev kit w/o any problems.

Let me know if you need further help -- I guess I'm one of those
who read their mail even on weekends :-)

Cheers,
Andy