Re: More gcc errors...

Subject: Re: More gcc errors...
From: "Michael Laird" <>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 1995 14:51:54 -0500
On Dec 8,  7:29pm, you wrote:
> Huh? I guess the AS you refer to is the i486-AS. This is of course not
> the one used to make libgcc2.a for Mips.

I didn't realize that at first; Ralf pointed it out to me.  But then I did
install binutils-2.5.2-6 and configured them for mips-linuxelf.  They are
installed in /usr/local/mips-linuxelf/bin.

After I got binutils installed correctly, I went back to
/usr/local/src/gcc-2.7.0 and did a "make distclean" and "./configure", and then
tried another make.  The make died in the same place as before; it looks like
./xgcc is still calling the wrong 'as', even though it knows to use the right
version of 'ar'.

>From looking at the INSTALL file with gcc-2.7.0, it sounds like I may have to
make libgcc1.a by hand somehow.  Is this correct?  Or should I just be able to
type `make CC="gcc -m486" CLFAGS=....' in the gcc directory and have it
automatically call the cross-assembler and archiver to make libgcc1.a?

Thanks for bearing with my continual questions!  You have been very helpful.

Michael Laird, Nashua, NH               "Glory to God in the highest, and on
Sanders, A Lockheed Martin Company      earth peace, good will toward men."              -- Luke 2:14
[All opinions expressed are personal and do not represent Sanders in any way.]