Re: Re[2]: Linux LibC [ was: Re: Re[3]: Linux/MIPS ]

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Linux LibC [ was: Re: Re[3]: Linux/MIPS ]
From: Systemkennung Linux <linux@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 1995 08:48:35 +0100 (MET)
Hi,

>           Hi All -
>           Mike and I are working on the Big Endian MIPS port here at
>           Sanders, and I have yet another question for the list (and
>           for Ralph and Uli in particular).

Ralph?  I don't see a Ralph? (whistle ...)

>           I have been downloading the libc-4.6.27-2 code and includes
>           from ftp.fnet.fr/linux-mips/src/libc  (well, the 4.6.27 and
>           the -2.diffs for both).  The includes seems to be missing a
>           /mips subdirectory.  Does this come from somewhere else or
>           is this a problem?

Oops?  There is a mips directory in the patches.  I bet you didn't give
a -p option to patch.  In that case patch generates the new files in
your current directory ...

>           The real question that I wanted to ask, though, is since we
>           are doing a big endian port - should we be using the GNU
>           glibc instead?  And if so, is the
>           ftp.fnet.fr/linux-mips/src/libc the best place to get it?
>           (I assume it is, I'm just checking in case someone else has
>           a better one they've been working on.)

The Linux libc runs well on 68k, so there are no byteorder problems left
in 4.6.27.  The real reason to use the GNU libc is that 4.6.27 won't run
on a current kernel and I won't fix that.