Re: MILO

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: MILO
From: Andreas Busse <andy@soft-n-hard.de>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 1995 19:50:54 +0100
Cc: mlaird@franck.sanders.lockheed.com
Hi again,

 > I'm going to take a look at MILO shortly, but maybe one of you folks could
 > answer a question about it for me -- what does MILO do besides load the
 > kernel
 > into memory and jump to its start address?  Our board has a PROM monitor
 > built
 > in that can talk to ethernet, load in executable code, and jump to a start
 > address; I'm hoping that I can use that.  Then I could just recompile the
 > kernel and boot the new version by downloading over ethernet.

Well, there are some variables that the kernel expects at certain
locations, ie. board type, video resolution etc. You'll need to set them
to appropriate values, otherwise results are, well... unpredictable :-)

 > Right now, we don't :-O !  Brannen and I are the only two working on it right
 > now; hopefully that will change soon!

Hmmm. Well, if you can work fulltime on this project, it might work...
I whish you the best!

Cheers,
Andy