MILO

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: MILO
From: "Michael Laird" <mlaird@franck.sanders.lockheed.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 1995 13:01:50 -0500
On Dec 4,  5:32pm, you wrote:
> In all cases, you first need a bootstrap loader if your board
> isn't ARC compliant (it probably isn't). Take a look at the
> ARC loader "MILO", available from ftp://fnet.fr/linux-mips to
> get an idea how Linux kernel can be loaded and launched.
> Included in the Milo package are a dummy kernel (actually a
> hello world program) which has been very useful to check the
> loader.

I'm going to take a look at MILO shortly, but maybe one of you folks could
answer a question about it for me -- what does MILO do besides load the kernel
into memory and jump to its start address?  Our board has a PROM monitor built
in that can talk to ethernet, load in executable code, and jump to a start
address; I'm hoping that I can use that.  Then I could just recompile the
kernel and boot the new version by downloading over ethernet.

> Feel free to post any questions you have. We'll try to give our
> best to make your kernel working before xmas, but I hope you
> have enough manpower available :-)

Right now, we don't :-O !  Brannen and I are the only two working on it right
now; hopefully that will change soon!

Michael Laird

Michael Laird, Nashua, NH               "Glory to God in the highest, and on
Sanders, A Lockheed Martin Company      earth peace, good will toward men."
mlaird@franck.sanders.lockheed.com              -- Luke 2:14
[All opinions expressed are personal and do not represent Sanders in any way.]