Re: Re[3]: Linux/MIPS

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr, miguel@nuclecu.unam.mx
Subject: Re: Re[3]: Linux/MIPS
From: Ulrich Drepper <drepper@myware.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 1995 18:34:26 +0100
From: Miguel de Icaza <miguel@nuclecu.unam.mx>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 1995 11:16:50 -0600

> Ralf said:
>
> > Actually libc 4.x is dead. I'm working on a GNU libc port.  Just have some
> > more days patience until I release working port of the GNU libc.
>
> Could you give us some extra details on this?  I have been working on
> the Linux/SPARC libc port and I'm using 4.x as my base for coding.  Is
> there any reason to choose the GNU libc instead of the Linux/Libc 5.x?

Perhaps it's me who should answer.  I convinced Ralf to switch to GNU
libc and I also wanted to talk to some Sparc people (but haven't found
an address).

Let me repeat the pros:

-  the sources are much cleaner

-  Roland McGrath is a full-time maintainer for the FSF; he gets paid
   for keeping the libc working (I don't want to say that non-professional
   libc maintainers, HJ etc, are not as good), but it might be a bit more
   reliable

- the glibc is already working on many systems (among them MIPS ,
  i386, and *Sparc*) so you can benefit from this a lot.

-  HJ Lu is now working with us and so Linux libc will be dead some day

I hope Ralf can confirm this.  He is working on glibc for some weeks
now and most of his porting is finding the correct files in the glibc
tree.

If you have interest please contact me.  You can have access to the
development tree if you also want to switch to glibc.

Thanks,

-- Uli
\      / Ulrich Drepper / Univ. at Karlsruhe, Germany / CS Dept. / IPD
L\inux/  email: drepper@gnu.ai.mit.edu          smail: Rubensstr. 5
  \  /          drepper@ipd.info.uni-karlsruhe.de      76149 Karlsruhe