Re: Information about Linux MIPS port

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr, mlaird@franck.sanders.lockheed.com
Subject: Re: Information about Linux MIPS port
From: Andreas Busse <andy@soft-n-hard.de>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 1995 17:32:32 +0100
Hi Michael,

 > Here at Sanders (a Lockheed Martin company) we build a R4600-based single
 > board
 > computer on a VME bus backplane.  I've been asked to help get a Linux kernel
 > up
 > and running on our MIPS board as soon as possible (really before Christmas!).
 > I would like to subscribe to the developers mailing list; I'm already a
 > subscriber to the list that runs on vger.rutgers.edu.  I'd also appreciate
 > information about the status of the MIPS port, and where I should start with
 > getting the Linux/MIPS kernel running on my R4600 board, especially the best
 > version of the kernel source code that I should try to port.
 >
 > Thanks in advance for any help, and I hope that I will soon be able to begin
 > hacking code and helping in the MIPS port!

You're of course welcome to join the Linux/MIPS team!
Current status of the port is that 1.2.11 kernels run user code
on three platforms and halfway work on two other platforms.
The 1.3. kernel has been tested on a single platform yet, but
others will follow soon.
>From a technical point of view, 1.2.x is rather a hack, but,
however, is still supported in so far that we'll find a way
to integrate patches in later 1.3. kernels.

In all cases, you first need a bootstrap loader if your board
isn't ARC compliant (it probably isn't). Take a look at the
ARC loader "MILO", available from ftp://fnet.fr/linux-mips to
get an idea how Linux kernel can be loaded and launched.
Included in the Milo package are a dummy kernel (actually a
hello world program) which has been very useful to check the
loader.

I would suggest to grab everything available and then to check
what can be used for your board. I already heard that it shall
run in big endian mode, which might be complicated since all other
platforms run little endian...

Feel free to post any questions you have. We'll try to give our
best to make your kernel working before xmas, but I hope you
have enough manpower available :-)

Cheers,
Andy

To Luc and Stoned: Would you please subscribe Michael? Thanks!