Re: stability?

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: stability?
From: Systemkennung Linux <linux@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 1995 01:44:38 +0100 (MET)
Hi,

> Are you guys coming along with a userland yet?  I have crashme running
> on my SparcStation SLC for 24hrs straight with the following script:
>
> -- crashme.torture --
> ./crashme 1020 234 500 24:00:00 &
> ./crashme 394 38484 5723 24:00:00 &
> ./crashme 3784 474 474 24:00:00 &
> ./crashme 437 4747 38 24:00:00 &
> ./crashme 47848 4745 123 24:00:00 &
> ./crashme 4747 4747 3463 24:00:00 &
> ./crashme 474 46464 262 24:00:00 &
> ./crashme 37 3644 3723 24:00:00 &
> ./crashme 374 46464 22 24:00:00 &
> ./crashme 3747 464 363 24:00:00 &
> ./crashme 347 4747 44 24:00:00 &
> ./crashme 37374 374 66 24:00:00 &
> ./crashme 3737 474 4444 24:00:00 &
>
> ./crashme +1020 234 500 24:00:00 &
> ./crashme +394 38484 5723 24:00:00 &
> ./crashme +3784 474 474 24:00:00 &
> ./crashme +437 4747 38 24:00:00 &
> ./crashme +47848 4745 123 24:00:00 &
> ./crashme +4747 4747 3463 24:00:00 &
> ./crashme +474 46464 262 24:00:00 &
> ./crashme +37 3644 3723 24:00:00 &
> ./crashme +374 46464 22 24:00:00 &
> ./crashme +3747 464 363 24:00:00 &
> ./crashme +347 4747 44 24:00:00 &
> ./crashme +37374 374 66 24:00:00 &
> ./crashme +3737 474 4444 24:00:00 &
> -- crashme.torture --
>
> Consider this a goal to shoot for, I'm pretty awe struck I am actually
> this far ;-)  (watch the thing panic after I send this mail out, oi!)
>
> (just for reference, no other OS that runs on this machine can last
>  more than 30 seconds with the above script, this include StunsOS (ie
>  sunos) Slowlaris2.3,2.4,2.5beta/SCS.  Open/Netbsd seem to keep up
>  pretty good though.)

Not bad ...  Well, Linux/MIPS is not yet a match in stability.  Linux/MIPS
was already in userland for version 1.2.11.  Linux/MIPS up to version
1.2.11 was more or less a verbose translation of the i386 stuff for MIPS.
I then took the freedom to nuke everything for 1.3 to make Linux/MIPS
conforming to existing standards for MIPS.  Thise includes everything
from renumbering signals, changing kernel structure definitions, syscall
calling/result return conventions, object file format.  I did this at
the last second but now I think most has been done.  I just don't believe
that is was sensible to build compatibility cludges for 1.2 into 1.3.

Expect a new release of all the Linux stuff including kernel 1.3.40 or
newer, GCC 2.7.2, binutils 2.6, GNU libc, user toys for the next days.
All I need is some time to clean up the sources for distribution.