Re: Weekend offline

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Weekend offline
From: "Paolo Bevilacqua" <pab@RMnet.IT>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 1995 22:33:11 +0100

> I've done some test this week-end too, and I found  that the function
gprint_char is not very  slow but the real probleme is the scrolling.
So, I try to use the option Top of the screen of the G364 board. The
VRAM could be saw  as a circular buffer. I've only tested this way of
scrolling on the Hello_World_VMlinux, with only  down scrolling. I think
it could be as fast as a text card on my PC.
> So two questions:
> - Can we rely on 2MB of VRAM or is somebody got less with his G364 ?
Low reas card, if it will be ever possible to actually use it, has 1MB
only.
> - Paolo, what's new with your 4bpp stuff ? less bpp we can use more
this 'circular buffer' will be usefull.

I've almost done with 1 (one) BPP code. I didn't approached yet the
scrolling code but that's better since Luc is doing it. Of course as
smaller is the 'visible' portion of the buffer as more convenient is
the hardware scrolling code. Anyway, the G364 doc states that values
bigger then 256 shouln't be written into the top of screen register,
i hope this isn't true. I hope that will be not too difficult to merge
our the codes!

        /pab