Re: Low-res problem idea

Subject: Re: Low-res problem idea
From: "David S. Miller" <>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 1995 01:50:17 -0500
   Date: Fri, 24 Nov 1995 09:36:52 +0300

   > Linux doesn't yet handle big endian machines very good.  Especially
   > the filesystem made serious trouble.  The worst thing is that you cannot
   > easily build filesystem images on your PC to boot your Linux machine.

   This is not the case for a two or three days already. The hottest news is
   that gcc compiles object code on SPARC with i386-compatible ext2 filesystem.
   But I have not done this myself yet and rely on i386 with a cross-compiler.

Peter is correct, I wrote the necessary byte swapping / bit-swapping
code for the ext2 filesystem sources in the kernel.  The code
basically turns into nops on little endian machines, but does the
correct thing on big endian architectures.

A copy of my tools which create little endian ext2 filesystems on big
endian sparc machines can be gotten from:

I have built two kernels under sparclinux on these filesystems, so
things seem ok.

David S. Miller