Re: Low-res problem idea

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Low-res problem idea
From: Systemkennung Linux <linux@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 1995 04:46:11 +0100 (MET)
Hi again,

> If my supposition about the cause of this problem (ie. board's bug with
> data in endianess different than expected) makes any sense, can the nice
> R4000 r/w with the 'right' endianess into the VRAM area ? I haven't my
> manual set around (that bunch of A4 paper is able to mimetize quite
> good) to check this now, but i'm sure that somebody on here knows ..

If this is really the source of the trouble you might experiment with
the RE (reverse endian) bit in the status register.  Or just converting
the byte order manually.

> The only two env. (conf. floppy  and RISC/os PROM) with i've a good
> display are both b.e... gee... why we don't switch the whole thing to be
> ? :))

Linux doesn't yet handle big endian machines very good.  Especially
the filesystem made serious trouble.  The worst thing is that you cannot
easily build filesystem images on your PC to boot your Linux machine.
Another problem is that my Acer board cannot be reconfigured to big endian
byte order.

> WIN95 note: It sucks (i feel like a young Linux fanatic when i say
> that), watta do you expected to read here ?

Nothing else.  I needed just a view minutes to learn that Win95 is really
better than Win 3.1.  Better still means not good enough.