Re: SCSI & style of life

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: SCSI & style of life
From: Systemkennung Linux <linux@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 1995 18:01:29 +0100 (MET)
Hi,

> This reminded me an older Priam disk we had here (Priam was a manufacturer of
> the worsts disks ever made) that needed a manual spin to start it up, in sync
> with power on. It was full size and hot as hell too, and syncerley we don't
> miss it too much.

We've still a machine here at the university with one of these good old
300mb Eagle disks.  Really fun; I guess the casing is about 15" wide and
even deeper.  Switch the machine on and the light gets darker.  Connect it
to your network and get fun with IP v3.  But that nothing compared to my
Perkin-Elmer 3205; switching it on blows the 16A fuses in most cases.  But
hey, it's running a real UNIX Version 7; a large part of the manuals has
been written by Kernighan and Richtie.

  Ralf

(We really should followup to alt.folklore.computers :-)