Re: SCSI & style of life (fwd)

Subject: Re: SCSI & style of life (fwd)
From: Andreas Busse <>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 1995 09:15:21 +0100
Hi all,

Paul sent me the following message. I'll repost it again.
BTW, Paul, there's an alias for on Try <>,
perhaps this works.

From: (Paul Antoine)
Subject: Re: SCSI & style of life
To: (Andreas Busse)
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 1995 10:58:49 +1100 (EST)

Hi Andy,
Once again, I'm posting direct to you; repost if you wish.
>  > I think that the SNI thing, expecially under your point of view, is very
> good.
>  > It is a germany based company and it shows as collaborative. Marketing
> chances
>  > for theyr machines are much higher than for hybrid MIPS/PC we are hacking
> just
>  > now, that are ~4 years old.
> It should also be important for you all. Not that a port to the SNI baby
> would make Linux/MIPS run better on a Magnum, but the project would get
> attention. That's important.
Actually, the SNI port and the DEC port have a lot in common.  Their
architectures are far enough away from the PC-like alpha and MIPS
machines that they share a common need for systematic re-organisation
of the source tree to cope.  So you see, the DEC port will run better
(i.e. as a project) as a result of the alignment of needs and goals...

<Paolo's comments about freezing the dev. environment snipped for brevity>
> 100% agreed. A rule for releasing binaries should also be that binaries
> should work on a broad range of Linux installations.

> That is (and I will get kicked for this again): a.out is to be preferred.

> I've nothing against ELF and Linux-1.3.x. But I cannot afford the
> downtime to move to 1.3., at least not now. And I don't have a spare
> box to play with.

Well, there are two choices: either I spend all my time transfering my
cross dev. machine to a release greater that the 1.3.30/a.out one with
which I'm happy on my cross-dev box, and compiling the latest and
greatest compilers and libraries OR I spend my valuable time writing
really useful code for the port to the DEC... so I agree with you: a
simple, generic, (relatively) bug-free cross-dev. environment is what
we need to get the most out of everybody involved.

So to those who might want to kick you for holding this view, I
suggest they deal with me too (and at 110Kg they might think twice
about this :-)

> It's not the case that I really want to change my responsibilities, I just
> ask if someone wants that. I'd really prefer if some of the hackers
> around Ralf would hack the SNI port so that I can continue to keep
> things moving where they seem to slow, and to stop things where they
> seem to go in a wrong direction.
It does seem that you're good at this, and I really feel that a German
team is best for dealing with the SNI box.  I suppose you could
involve another European, but I don't think any of us outside of
Europe can really take it on...

> This afternoon I'll see Ralf and two other guys that are interested in
> the SNI port. Let's see what happens...
Make sure you pour in a good many beers!
Paul M. Antoine,                                        Net:
Softway Pty Ltd                                         WWW: