Re: SCSI & style of life

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: SCSI & style of life
From: Andreas Busse <andy@soft-n-hard.de>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 1995 08:53:31 +0100

 > True.  However, after I got the right memory locations, I was able to
 > get up an crawling in a couple of days of hacking.  I did leverage off
 > the work that the Tyne boards had done, but it was relatively easy to
 > get to the point where the system tries to mount / and failed (since I
 > didn't have any disk drivers enabled due to size constraints, and I
 > wasn't sure if the then current system would do anything useful with
 > /, since that was pre '#' if I recall).  Unless the SNI machine is
 > totally different and doesn't have any docs, it should be relatively
 > simple to get it up and running, at least to the same point the
 > current kernel is at (BTW, how far along are the 1.2 and 1.3 branches
 > in the boot process?).  A lot of tools have been written to help
 > people get up and going on new hardware.  Just a thought.

Congrats to get the RPC so far!

I've been promised to get all necessary information and docs from SNI.
I hope they know what they did :-)

 > Maybe if no one in Europe wanted to sign up to the task of getting the
 > SNI running, maybe that would be a useful machine to send to Drew, if
 > he would sign up to get something up and running on it in a reasonable
 > time frame.  I don't know the politics of the relationship with SNI,
 > so I don't know if this is possible or not.  Just an idea.  If it is
 > silly, please be kind in telling me so :-).

No, it's not that silly, but it might lead me into heavy problems.
Imagine that, somehow, the box get lost on it's way to you. Not
very probably, but Murphy is always with us, you know...

Anyway, the SNI fight has been cleared: Michael Neuffer (not on the
list yet) will continue the SNI port after I've made the basics.
Some of you might know Michael -- he's working on the DPT/EATA SCSI
drivers for Linux (correct me if I'm wrong, please).
I'll sign the agreement with SNI today, and then we can go back
to work again :-)

Cheers,
Andy