Re: SCSI & style of life

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: SCSI & style of life
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@waldorf-gmbh.de>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 1995 18:40:43 +0100 (MET)
Hi,

> True.  However, after I got the right memory locations, I was able to
> get up an crawling in a couple of days of hacking.  I did leverage off
> the work that the Tyne boards had done, but it was relatively easy to
> get to the point where the system tries to mount / and failed (since I
> didn't have any disk drivers enabled due to size constraints, and I
> wasn't sure if the then current system would do anything useful with
> /, since that was pre '#' if I recall).

Dunno, if you've already taken a look in the current 1.3.39 kernel.  I
cleaned up Andy's original floppy driver and sent a patch with that
stuff to Linus.  The Linux/MIPS floppy driver is now the completly
unchanged one from Linus' kernel release.  It will be very easy for
you to add support for your machine to it.  Well, unless your board
also has the braindead DMA cache of the Tyne design which isn't
really supported.

Maybe not all of you know - I started my Linux port for a Deskstation Tyne.
After spending *lots* of time in debugging the kernel I could finally
proove that the board I was using was faulty.  That's why I also like
to call it "Wreckstation" :-)

> Maybe if no one in Europe wanted to sign up to the task of getting the
> SNI running, maybe that would be a useful machine to send to Drew, if
> he would sign up to get something up and running on it in a reasonable
> time frame.  I don't know the politics of the relationship with SNI,
> so I don't know if this is possible or not.  Just an idea.  If it is
> silly, please be kind in telling me so :-).

Well, I guess that strongly depends of how good SNI's bussines relations
to the US are.  No idea ...

MIME mail discarded UNREAD!