Re: SCSI & style of life

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: SCSI & style of life
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@waldorf-gmbh.de>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 1995 18:32:18 +0100 (MET)
Hi,

> I want to add that just browsing at www.netbsd.org, I saw that, the
> incoming NetBSD 1.1 runs on DEC 3000, 3100, 5000/200, 5000/2x, 5000
> Personal - and some more - but they admit that a.out (they use big
> endian kind) isn't well suited for MIPS processor (they give a little
> explanation, I can't remember which), ... and they will switch to ELF,
> in fact all the NetBSD ports are planned for ELF-switching - that's
> what I have understood.

In fact Per's port of NetBSD to the same machine that I'm using is
running ELF.  We also did a little bit of brain storming about binary
compatibility.  As it looks we can quite easily establish a iBCS style
way to establish binary compatibility for dynamic linked ELF executables.
Not that I immediately plan to work in that direction, but the design
idea leaves that way open.

David "Sparc" Miller, as I know you can run SunOS executables which again
is relativly similar to NetBSD.  What changes were necessary for you to
make Linux/Sparc running SunOS executables?  Maybe that stuff could be
a nice base to implement the RISC/os BSD4.3 flavoured syscalls and NetBSD
compatibility?  Just thinking ...

MIME mail discarded UNREAD!