Re: SCSI & style of life

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: SCSI & style of life
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 1995 08:42:36 -0700
: Why? We're currently working on actually *two* different platforms:
: Jazz and rPC44. The differences between the three jazz systems are
: rather minor. With the SNI we would have three different targets.

True.  However, after I got the right memory locations, I was able to
get up an crawling in a couple of days of hacking.  I did leverage off
the work that the Tyne boards had done, but it was relatively easy to
get to the point where the system tries to mount / and failed (since I
didn't have any disk drivers enabled due to size constraints, and I
wasn't sure if the then current system would do anything useful with
/, since that was pre '#' if I recall).  Unless the SNI machine is
totally different and doesn't have any docs, it should be relatively
simple to get it up and running, at least to the same point the
current kernel is at (BTW, how far along are the 1.2 and 1.3 branches
in the boot process?).  A lot of tools have been written to help
people get up and going on new hardware.  Just a thought.

Maybe if no one in Europe wanted to sign up to the task of getting the
SNI running, maybe that would be a useful machine to send to Drew, if
he would sign up to get something up and running on it in a reasonable
time frame.  I don't know the politics of the relationship with SNI,
so I don't know if this is possible or not.  Just an idea.  If it is
silly, please be kind in telling me so :-).

Warner