Re: SCSI & style of life

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: SCSI & style of life
From: Stoned Elipot <Stoned.Elipot@univ-evry.fr>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 1995 16:27:56 +0100
Hi,

>>>>> "Ralf" == Systemkennung Linux <linux@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de> writes:
[SNIP]
Ralf> That's all - now ELF binaries thatshould run.  I anyway strongly
Ralf> recommend to install at least the most important ELF shared
Ralf> libraries.  a.out is dead by now.  Since a year or so noone did
Ralf> real development on the a.out libs and tools.  Linux packages
Ralf> like Slackware 3.0 are ELF, Debian is just changing to ELF,
Ralf> Redhat 2.0 is ELF and so on.  Virtually just everyone is going
Ralf> to ELF.  An increasing number of software packages (Postgres95
Ralf> eg.)  can't even be built for a.out.

I want to add that just browsing at www.netbsd.org, I saw that, the
incoming NetBSD 1.1 runs on DEC 3000, 3100, 5000/200, 5000/2x, 5000
Personal - and some more - but they admit that a.out (they use big
endian kind) isn't well suited for MIPS processor (they give a little
explanation, I can't remember which), ... and they will switch to ELF,
in fact all the NetBSD ports are planned for ELF-switching - that's
what I have understood.

Cheers, Stoned.