Re: SCSI & style of life

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: SCSI & style of life
From: Systemkennung Linux <linux@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 1995 15:43:33 +0100 (MET)
Hi,

> It should also be important for you all. Not that a port to the SNI baby
> would make Linux/MIPS run better on a Magnum, but the project would get
> attention. That's important.

Probably only interesting for the people speaking German - I and Roman
Hodek are just writing an article about all the Linux ports.  I use
the chance to draw attention to all the Linux ports and will provide
as much information about them as I can (Hey David - got my mail?).
I'll of course mention SNI and hope that we'll manage to attract more
people and probably even companies to Linux ports.  The article will
be several pages long and be printed in the January issue of iX.

For those who don't know the iX - it's the probably biggest UNIX oriented
magazine in Germany.  A well regarded magazine with a remarkably high
standard.  Luckily it's makers are mostly Linux fans as you easily
see by the fact that iX sponsored Drew's development of the 53c7,8xx.c
driver.

> 100% agreed. A rule for releasing binaries should also be that binaries
> should work on a broad range of Linux installations. That is (and I will
> get kicked for this again): a.out is to be preferred. I've nothing
> against ELF and Linux-1.3.x. But I cannot afford the downtime to move
> to 1.3., at least not now. And I don't have a spare box to play with.

Obviously you uninformed about ELF - not a second downtime necessary unless
you have to recompile the kernel with enabled ELF support.  Just
get ld.so from ftp.ods.com in /pub/linux/, unpack it and run the install
script that will install the new ld.so.  Ignore the error messages - they're
meaningless and won't reappear when you install the same version again.

Then get the libc-5.0.9.tar.gz packages from tsx-11.mit.edu in
/pub/linux/packages/GCC/.  You don't want to reinstall you development
environment, so install only the libraries in /lib and skip the include
and /usr/lib/ files.  If don't do something really stupid it's a zero
risk operation, really.  If you are paranoid you can try to reboot once
again, but that's not really necessary.

That's all - now ELF binaries thatshould run.  I anyway strongly recommend
to install at least the most important ELF shared libraries.  a.out is
dead by now.  Since a year or so noone did real development on the a.out
libs and tools.  Linux packages like Slackware 3.0 are ELF, Debian is just
changing to ELF, Redhat 2.0 is ELF and so on.  Virtually just everyone is
going to ELF.  An increasing number of software packages (Postgres95 eg.)
can't even be built for a.out.