Re: SCSI & style of life

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: SCSI & style of life
From: Andreas Busse <andy@soft-n-hard.de>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 1995 15:14:06 +0100

 > Consider even the fact that we have quite some different machine types and
 > just a few more developers.  No good thing for fast advance.  I'm a big fan
 > of hard and software architectures that are not as uniform as the biggest
 > part of the PC and Mac world.  But we're beyond what is acceptable.

Why? We're currently working on actually *two* different platforms:
Jazz and rPC44. The differences between the three jazz systems are
rather minor. With the SNI we would have three different targets.

 > As example - GCC's makefile tries to test the cross compiler by building a
 > little program.  That of course fails because there are no libraries
 > installed yet.  You again can't build the library because the compiler isn't
 > installed yet.  So you need to install the compiler manually.  Some minor
 > changes in the kernel also break compiling the old libc 4.6.27 that I'm
 > discontinuing to support and oh, why is that damned float.h thing GCC is
 > always complaining about ...

I know... It's a pain to compile the compiler & tools around.

 > > I think that everyone should agree on this.
 >
 > Of course.  The big time of nuking everything is over.  Just some minor
 > fixes are missing; then we should be in the *real* Linux buisness.

Ok, then let's come to a decision about the SNI and then clear the
TODO list :-)

BTW, Ralf, would be good if you could come before 16:00h or so.
At 17:30 I have another date, and I also need to prepare some
demo web pages for a customer...

Cheers,
Andy