Re: SCSI & style of life

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: SCSI & style of life
From: Andreas Busse <andy@soft-n-hard.de>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 1995 09:39:10 +0100
Hi all,

 > [...]
 >
 > This curiosity, and latests open-air messages (hello Drew, can you hear
 > me from you parachute launch ? ;) lead me to a question: why are we
 > doing all this? Easy, coz' it's fun. I can have all the fucked expensive
 > systems without even paying for it, but i sit here hacking a maked-out
 > computer to run useless code (i assume that every software is useless
 > unless it a) pays your bill, b) save your (or someone else) life). I
 > know that answer is obvious, but is true. It's like a rule for me, and
 > every thing has rules. Programming, shooting potatoes, working and
 > (pardon me) loving. There also to say that rules are a lot better when
 > aren't written but everybody follows them, or speaks about'em if he
 > thinks that the rules are wrong. Anyway, let me propose a rule for our
 > beloved Linux-mips project:
 > Let's do it. And having fun at the same time.

that was nice to read. Thanks, Paolo.
However, I'd like to add a few words that might explain why I
don't find it that funny as it perhaps should be.
First, our points of view might differ more or less. Those of
you who grabbed a Mips box, either by accident or by mistake (;-))
don't need to care about if and when Linux/MIPS is working on
it. You just have the box, and it's standing around in a dusty
and dark corner if you stop working on it. That's fine, but is
always has been different for me and since I left Waldorf it has
become even more different.
At Waldorf, I always needed someone to convince that Linux/MIPS
can become a success. That wasn't always easy, but it worked.
It worked that good that Waldorf bought machines, paid the internet
traffic, even paid Ralf part time.
At the time I left Waldorf I had to decide wether to take the
Linux/MIPS project with me or to kill it. Nobody else at Waldorf
was interested or able to continue it.

So... Besides the fact that I needed to buy the equipment Ralf
has at home, I spend a lot of time into this project that I
otherwise could have spend into projects for which I get money.
I'm not DEC, MIPS, SGI or SNI -- I can't afford vaporware. I
guess this is the same for most of us, but the difference is
that all of you are free to say "sorry, don't have time for the
next three months." I can't -- or do you think so?

Basically, I wish that we all can make money out of Linux/MIPS
at a certain point, either directly or indirectly. That's my
goal. If yours differs, no problem. But if your goals are contrary
to mine, no matter why and how, we have a real problem.

Now we have the chance to get real support from a big company.
If we do it right, we can perhaps get more support. Eventually
even money, although I can't promise that.
But what happens? Instead that someone says: "Ok, I'll take
care of this SNI baby -- that's my chance!" we're fighting about
techno junk. Very, very disappointing.

Now I have to make another decision: I can take care of the SNI
box myself, but then you'll need to find another coordinator.
I can't do both, and it has never been a good idea to try to
coordinate a project on which you are working yourself.

A last word to the rules Paolo mentioned, even at the risk that
I repeat myself: The rule should be to move Linux/MIPS to a
usable state. Then it becomes fun anyway.

So, what do you want?

Cheers,
Andy