SCSI & style of life

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: SCSI & style of life
From: "Paolo Bevilacqua" <pab@RMnet.IT>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 1995 23:36:29 +0100
left to the reader. As hint, the number of two is given.

Hello,
Who said Linux code isn't documented ? I was giving a pre-look about the
planned SCSI driver and because i noticed that my PC buslogic card has a
fas216 like the one on the Mag, i gave a look to buslogic.c. Gee, there
are -comments- inside it, and gee^2, the actually make sense! The sad
thing is that i'm quite sure the driver isn't reusable, the buslogic has
an intelligent interace to the fas216 that seems to be rather low level
oriented. So i recalled that somebody said that the controller is
actually an NCRsomenumber, and i started giving a look to some Drew's
code. Gee^3! there are _data structeres_ here! (hope they make sense,
anyway :). So i can be quite confident that some kind of scsi code will
be present in our project, someday.

This curiosity, and latests open-air messages (hello Drew, can you hear
me from you parachute launch ? ;) lead me to a question: why are we
doing all this? Easy, coz' it's fun. I can have all the fucked expensive
systems without even paying for it, but i sit here hacking a maked-out
computer to run useless code (i assume that every software is useless
unless it a) pays your bill, b) save your (or someone else) life). I
know that answer is obvious, but is true. It's like a rule for me, and
every thing has rules. Programming, shooting potatoes, working and
(pardon me) loving. There also to say that rules are a lot better when
aren't written but everybody follows them, or speaks about'em if he
thinks that the rules are wrong. Anyway, let me propose a rule for our
beloved Linux-mips project:
Let's do it. And having fun at the same time.

Appreciating everybody, respecting you all,

        /pab