Re: Work [was: Re: SNI Alliance Partner]

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Work [was: Re: SNI Alliance Partner]
From: Andreas Busse <andy@soft-n-hard.de>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 19:55:50 +0100

 > Hmmm ...  Is ti posible that Linux tries to write it's output to some
 > unused part of the video memory that it never being displayed.

No. The first 768 kBytes are used, no matter what size the frame buffer is.

 > We already had the same idea.  Unfortunately we don't have any software
 > that is supposed to be working on the Olli.  Well, except that we might
 > try to install RISC/os from one of Waldorf's CDs.  Did anyone every try
 > that?

Do you have a spare 500 Meg disk? :-)

 > Well, we tried to install various versions of WNT on the Oily to verify
 > that it's working.  The machine always crashes at a more or less random
 > point.  From what Stoned told me this was what we had to excpect because
 > MS doesn't support the Oily anymore.  Milo however works always and the
 > kernel never.

Which leads to the assumption that there must be something wrong
with this box. As long it isn't clear where the kernel crashes I
cannot tell you if it has to do with the console driver. Which I
doubt anyway since it works on Stoned's box and also ran on
Stefan's.
Let's assume that the framebuffer is ok. Then it should be possible
to add some debug stuff (drawline() comes in mind) to the early
initialization code. Once you know where the box crashes we can
say if it has to do with the console or not.

Andy