Re: New uploads

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: New uploads
From: Andreas Busse <andy@soft-n-hard.de>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 19:07:50 +0100

 > The patches for the GNU libc are still in aaalphaaa state.  To use them you
 > need a snapshot of the full sources from alpha.gnu.ai.mit.edu:/pub/roland/.
 > Bootstrapping them is pain in the (you know) ...  Though this release is
 > primarily for your pleasure.
 >
 > bs-glibc-0.01.tar.gz contains the configparams file that I use for building
 > GNU libc. You'll probably wan't to edit it.  Think twice before 'make
 > install'.
 > The configure script isn't very good suitable for crosscompiling.  You might
 > accidently overwrite some binaries of your host system with MIPS binaries ...
 > The archive also contains a directory bs-include/ which you have to install
 > where your ELF (!) compiler looks for it's includes.  In my case this is
 > /usr/mipsel-linuxelf/include/.  You'll have to fix the asm and linux
 > symlinks.
 > Then configure the sources with something like the following command:
 >
 >   configure --build=i486-linux mipsel-linux
 >
 > Though the target will be in ELF binary format don't configure for
 > mipsel-linuxelf - configure can't handle this.  Compiling for big endian
 > targets (mips-linux) should also work but is untested.

Hum... I don't want to bother you with details, but isn't that (again)
the beginning of more hassle, just as with the compiler sources?
I've nothing against uploading sources, but these should either be
somewhere for completelyness only, or you must describe much more
detailled what you've done to compile them. Don't you think so?

It would be way better if you just upload binaries and tell people
not to try to build them themself as long there isn't a complete
HOWTO-COMPILE-THE-LIB! Or do you expect contributions? If this is the
case, you need to tell us what exactly should be tested and debugged.

Do you know what I mean?

Cheers,
Andy