Re: Work [was: Re: SNI Alliance Partner]

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Work [was: Re: SNI Alliance Partner]
From: Andreas Busse <andy@soft-n-hard.de>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 15:54:50 +0100

 > Oh well, I don't think that my work collides with anyones else work.

Perhaps not yours, but as Stoned wrote he is (or plans) to change the
console driver (see below).

 > For separating out the high/lowlevel stuff in the console:  as already
 > mentioned often enough this has already been done for the Linux/68k and AFAIK
 > this work is being reused for Linux/Sparc.  We should do the same.  I however
 > don't consider doing this hack my part of the job - the board I'm using is
 > mostly VGA compatible and makes only minor modifications necessary.

Nobody said that this is jour job. But if you think someone else could
do it, then please describe your ideas and ask around (on the list!)
if someone is willing to work on this.

 > Hmm...  Suggestion for hacking Milo's libstand.a.  How about converting
 > \n into \r\n in sprintf()?  I always feel pretty nervragged when I once
 > again forget the \r and the screen output get garbled.

Ok, next Milo.

But back to the original problem: I really want to see a realistic
chance for getting a SNI box to the same state as the Jazz boxes,
and within a certain time. This is not only a question of "who takes
care of this baby", it's also a question of the general rules here.
I know that it isn't fun, but I believe that we need to definitely
assign project parts to people. The way it worked (or not worked)
until now is a no-go.
I don't want to decide about who's doing what, so I ask before:
Could you all please summarize what you feel responsible for?
Or, if this needs to be decided first, come to a decision?

The way is should work is that I don't need to ask around to find
out who's doing what. Everyone should know whom to send patches if
he's changing something.
Also, just hoping that someone else will fix or write this and
that don't work. If you think something needs to be written (such
as scsi driver), either do it yourself or bother people until
someone is willing to do it for you. Never just sit down and dream
of it. It won't come.

Cheers,
Andy