Re: Work [was: Re: SNI Alliance Partner]

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Work [was: Re: SNI Alliance Partner]
From: Systemkennung Linux <linux@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 15:20:56 +0100 (MET)
On Nov 20,  1:16pm, Andreas Busse wrote:

> > And this might turn into a problem: Paolo is also working on a
> > console driver enhancement, if I got him right. If you and Ralf
> > don't tell the others about your work, someone else might spend
> > hours into nothing. No good idea. Either announce what you plan
> > to do, or do nothing. At least, avoid hacking on specific parts
> > when you're not sure about other's plans.

Oh well, I don't think that my work collides with anyones else work.  Just
hacking the GNU libc and the necessary kernel interface changes.  BTW -
switching from H.J. Lu's libc to the FSF's release I'll have to modify
GCC 2.7.1-1 a little bit.  This affects only the ELF flavoured compiler and
for people that don't feel like recompiling this could also be done by
hacking the specs file.

> Actually, i'm working on the low level routines to have them fast & reliable.
> (BTW, i think i will run at 1BPP, after some little arithmentic i found that
> also 4BPP gives only 128 'virtual' lines, that are too few to have advantage
> from the planned harware scroll).
> There is need of a generic ansi/vt100 emulator to wrap around'em (in the
> kernel
> only, milo stays happy with "/r/n" handling. I haven't looked at the Linux
> sources yet, but such a thing should be very easy to find around. My goal is
> also to have support for applications (X) that are willing to take (and
> possibly return) control of the video.

For separating out the high/lowlevel stuff in the console:  as already
mentioned often enough this has already been done for the Linux/68k and AFAIK
this work is being reused for Linux/Sparc.  We should do the same.  I however
don't consider doing this hack my part of the job - the board I'm using is
mostly VGA compatible and makes only minor modifications necessary.

> in the meanwhile, dear 2MB boards owners:
> please give a look to the oscillator clock close the baby 364: it's 5Mhz ?
> 8.125 ? or what ?
> Also please look at 0xe0200000 and tell me what do you have there.

Hmm...  Suggestion for hacking Milo's libstand.a.  How about converting
\n into \r\n in sprintf()?  I always feel pretty nervragged when I once
again forget the \r and the screen output get garbled.