Re: SNI Alliance Partner

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: SNI Alliance Partner
From: "Paolo Bevilacqua" <pab@uni.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 10:55:01 +0100
> Subject: Re: SNI Alliance Partner
>

>  >
>  > Gee! It's sad a lot when i think about so much nice iron to hack, and so
few
>  > time to do so.
>  >

> Right -- and even worse: Until nobody is interested in supporting
> this box I really don't know if I shall sign this agreement. I hate
> vaporware...

Totally agreed. I think we should realistically calculate how many
probabilities there are of having a basic port done in (let's say) three
months. This would allow Siemens to advertise Linux as 'experimental but
working' OS on their machines, potentially attracting customers/developers to
continue working on it, and consequently renew the support for a longer time.

At a first glance we need to consider:
- availability of a robust crossdev env.
- the ubiquitous MILO in some reincarnation
- support for console and disk
- port of the basic utilities

        /pab