Re: SNI RM200

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: SNI RM200
From: Systemkennung Linux <linux@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 1995 19:45:13 +0100 (MET)
Hi,

>  > About the G364 - doesn't anybody feel like hacking a real console for it?
>  > I hacked the support for the Acer and without benchmarks I'd say the
>  > speed difference is by a factor of several hundred times.
>
> Well, Ralf, you forgot that there is _NO_ text mode. You're always
> in graphics mode, and there's no way out.

My good old Amiga has at max. 10 % of the CPU of your Magnum and can
print more than 20000 chars/s using proportional fonts on his 1024x1024
display.  So don't tell me there's nothing to speed up.  I read the
code of the G364 support and *shiver* ...  Just take a look at the
code for scrolling:

> while (count) {
>       count--;
> }

Hmmm ...  As an alternative - does someone feel like hacking support
for (E)ISA cards in the Magnum?  I know, as Magnums have a complete
system on board their owners usually don't test the slots for the whole
lifetime of the system ...